Saturday, January 31, 2009

Culture of the Week


Pride and Prejudice- just the story in general! I love the book and the movie- but only the 5-hour BBC production! The other ...thing...doesn't exist. (No, really. The entire time I watched it I was like....where is everybody?!)

The writing, the twists, the problems of memories strewed and interpreted so differently because of bias- not to mention the closeness and sweet relationship between Jane and Elizabeth really make me love it.

And the fact that Darcy admits, first off, that he loves Lizzie and wants to marry her despite his family's wishes and even his "own better judgement" makes it amazing. I've felt this emotion(well, besides the marriage part...most people who know me know I'm happy enough on my own!) plenty of times in my life, so it makes him easy to identify with.

Not to mention that in the BBC production the Bennet family (in particular Mr. and Mrs. Bennet) remind me so much of my maternal family it's really just like watching a scene from early childhood!!

And at any rate, I have a new logo-

"Fitzwilliam Darcy: sexier than Edward Cullen since 1813."


Hey, it's true.

5 comments:

Emma said...

I definitely agree about the BBC Pride and Prejudice and Mr. Darcy. If our family is like the Bennetts I hope you think of me as Lizzie, or at least Jane!

Tara said...

Actually Emma as far as numbers go, you're the fourth daughter - so that would make you Kitty. At least she ends up alright in the end (in the book).

Bek - I can absolutely agree about Darcy being sexier than Edward as far as the movies go; but in my imagination, Edward blows Darcy out of the water.

Kira J Bard said...

Tara, I feel that I greatly disagree with you....but hey, you're the youngest

....

Lidia.

Tania said...

Well, we all know who that makes me! (tee hee.)

Kira J Bard said...

Jane?

So what?

(...nobody actually likes Jane.)