Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Person/Culture Of The Week

Okay, so technically this is last week's...sorry! Auditions and callbacks were over the weekend, it was very stressful.

I decided that my 'Person' for the week would be my math teacher- yes, I do realize that's a little "strange," but...well, a) it's me, and I'm 'out there' anyway, and b) who cares? It's my blog, after all. :)

Anyway- back to the subject. Mr. Ellis (or 'my logical friend,' as I am wont to call him- he does frequently remind me of Spock. Sorry.) is AMAZING. All the way back in September, I probably would have said the complete opposite- I hated math, and thus, all math teachers. It was only after I was on a horrible downward spiral that I decided I HAD to like this teacher, and thus, by default, this class. One Wednesday when I had rehearsal at 3:30 and again at 5:30 I just sat down and chatted with him for a good, long while- after all, I figured if I had to like this guy, I may as well find something there!

And I did- without any pretending! Turned out he's really into Opera/musicals, theatre, etc, he's been all over the world (loves France, actually, and my Liverpudlian roots have to disagree with that, but, well....nobody's perfect.) and frequently holidays in foreign places. He's also got great life advice (yes, I do think if he got in a fight with Oprah, Dr. Oz and Dr. Phil combined, he'd win) and he's got exactly the same sense of humour that I do- actually, I confess I occasionally feel bad for my math class when I'm the only one in the room who realizes that he's making fun of them. Ever so politely, of course, but I still feel bad.

Our 'verbal spars', to quote my mother, are always what I crave from a conversation- quick, intelligent, and with lots of facial quirks when you deliver a particularly difficult comeback.

Here's to you, Mr. Ellis- may your logic always be lightning-fast. :)



No comments: